Sunday, November 22, 2015

On an entirely separate note…

(I am going to utilize my freedom of speech as a right to discuss some things that have very little to do with my Thailand adventures and has everything to do with the state of our world today. So if you don’t want to read about my thoughts about the events of late, stop here. On the other hand, if you are genuinely curious about my feelings, please continue! BUT, these are MY thoughts and feelings and I am not trying to prove one group wrong or right. Frankly, if I piss you off, good. That means you’re thinking about these issues. And if you get that fire burning in your soul, do something about it! I’m merely sharing why I think our world is bleeding and cannot be cured with a Band-Aid.)

(by: Simon Kneebone- cartoonist and illustrator)

I am so tired of hearing all of the racist, ignorant, and down right rude discussions regarding Muslims as a whole, and the concept of  “Islamophobia” is baffling to me. I am appalled at what people, namely people in our government system, are doing and saying in regards to the Syrian refugees and Muslims across the world. I am in a unique situation, because I am living in a Buddhist country and am in a province with a Muslim dominated population. I live, work, eat, and play with Buddhists, Muslims, and Christians alike and I can tell you that I have never experienced such a feeling of solidarity and community as I have here.

I am the foreigner, the white person, in a strange land. I have had my fair share of struggles and issues here in Thailand and I know I will continue to wrestle with issues as my time here progresses. But. None of the people I have met have ever wished me ill will, hurt me, degraded me because I am a falang, or denied me services because I was not like them. This is community. No, this is what it means to be a human. Whether you worship and look to Buddha, God, or Allah, in the end, we all have the same core beliefs and a respect for human dignity.

In the article entitled, “Not Tourists: Refugees are Human Beings”, written by Global Ministries, a branch of the Disciples of Christ denomination, the authors state that “the answer is not to shut out whole populations collectively; we know that each and every one of us could be excluded based on some aspect of identity.” This could not be truer because America is a melting pot of identities. This rings very clear with me because I am the minority (literally, I am like 1 out of a handful of white foreigners here in Satun).

The article goes on to conclude saying, “We are called to be a merciful and caring community; to seek justice and to honor every person; and to stand up and shout out when such a vision is challenged or violated. We urge caution and caring in our discourse and in our actions, so that we all may hold ourselves to a higher standard and ideal.”

(I've conveniently added the link for you!)


If we cannot help our global neighbors, who’s to say they will ever do the same for us when we need it most? Syria is vulnerable, being pushed and pulled all different directions, and the majority of Syrians are being thrown around like basketballs, constantly changing hands without free will. Their lives are turbulent and ever changing, without security and safety, and how dare America think they hold power over these people’s lives! These refugees are fleeing terrorism, and even though they may be Muslims, this does not automatically mean they are terrorists themselves. Justice and peace are being challenged and we have the opportunity to do something about it, to extend a welcoming hand, and to help our brothers in need.

I applaud France. After the brutal attacks in Paris last week, France still says they will take in Syrian refugees. France is being the bigger person. Right now, France is leading by example while the US is turning its back on innocent people.

I also applaud people like Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) who can stand on the senate floor and discuss the need for humanitarian action. Much of what she says, and I encourage you to read the article and/or her senate address, hits a chord with me.

(I've conveniently added the link for you!)


Over half of the Syrian refugees are children. Fact. Many of whom no longer have a family. No home, belongings, country, no idea of where to go or what to do next. These are the people most vulnerable. Fact. Children, especially children alone are easy targets for human trafficking. Many of the refugee children will not make it. They will get taken to be sold as child prostitutes. Many of the young girls will die because their bodies are not physically able to sustain continual harm. Those that don’t die will get pregnant eventually. If they live through childbirth and if their child lives, they will be thrown out and now you have this 14 year old mother with no education or means of earning an income, stuck in some slum, trying to survive. Oh by the way, she will most likely have HIV/AIDS or other STD’s. What a wonderful life for a teenage. If the children are not taken for sexual or labor slavery, they could be trafficking into the organ trading business. Sadly, these operations are growing. It is exactly as it sounds. Boys and girls will be cut into and their healthy organs will be harvested to sell to 3rd parties, namely in developed countries (guess what Uncle Sam? That kidney transplant you had, well it probably came from a terrorist!) Har har.

Not funny. How is any of this funny? How can we knowingly sign off on refugee’s lives saying “yes, we don’t want you and too bad so sad, but we know you wont survive without our help.” This is the kind of ethnocentric thinking that proves we are just as stuck up as the rest of the world believes us to be already. America is scared because ISIS is on the other side of the fence. The brown, crispy, dead side of the fence. Syria is scared because ISIS has already invaded the house and is searching room by room to take and oppress.

So America, let’s show the world the best version of ourselves. I don’t understand why we think we can play God and determine the fate of millions of people because we are scared of leaks in the gaps. Inevitably, a terrorist or two will get by the system, but so will hundreds of thousands of innocents. If we don’t help now, we will forever be jeopardizing our international standing, and what country would ever put their trust in us to do the right thing ever again?

I am proud to be an American. I am also proud to be a human. Instead of harming it, let’s work towards peace and bring those most responsible to justice. Let’s show some human dignity and help, because there is a need. The world is bleeding. A Band-Aid is not a permanent solution, but it is a means to an end. 


(Sorry if it comes up weird colored or something. I had some technical issues with this one!)


No comments:

Post a Comment