Monday, November 30, 2015

Mountains and Valleys

DISCLAIMER: I don't know why my font and the color are being weird, but I'm working on trying to remedy this inconvenience.

So the week before was a high, a rose, a mountain.
This week was a low, a thorn, a valley.

It’s not like everything was doom and gloom, but it was a hard week for me. Students were crazy, holidays came and gone, I questioned my decision to be here, my phone broke, I learned about the ridiculous Thailand transportation system and I saw a movie.

So lets start with those highs:

LOI KRATHONG (November 25)

This was such a fun holiday and I am so thrilled I was able to be a part of such a beautiful cultural tradition. The school had a whole afternoon of activities ranging from krathong making, a Miss Loi Krathong pageant (one that could rival any Miss America), dances and songs, and a mini release of the krathongs into a kiddie pool. “Loi” means to float and “krathong” means basket (loosely) and the krathongs are traditionally made of a slice from the banana tree and are decorated with banana leaves, flowers, incense, candles, food, ect. On the night of the full moon, you launch the krathongs into the river and this symbolizes letting go of your worries and fears. We were also lucky enough to launch some Khom Loi (floating lanterns) and make some wishes! These lanterns are usually made of a thin fabric like rice paper, held up by wire and attached to a fuel cell that can be lit with a lighter. These mini hot air balloons are actually quite large! My friends and I set off two lanterns and each were at least 2 feet tall!

(Each grade level made a class krathong and pushed them into the pool)

THANKSGIVING (November 26)

While the rest of you were enjoying your turkey and stuffing (and these new desert concoctions called Picakens or whatever you call the pies baked in cakes), I was enjoying some western food at a local hangout here in Satun! My two American friends and I celebrated with a few Leo’s (a kind of beer), darts, and even topped off the night with Apple Pie a la mode! I had a delicious rendition of Chicken Cordon Bleu with vegetables and mashed potatoes and was very content with my evening. To make it even better, I woke up at 5 am to chat with the Black’s over in Wyoming. I got to see my whole family and talk to them for a while over FaceTime was a godsend. I have missed a lot of events already and will miss so much more, and being able to see them is something I will never take for granted!

(Bry and I letting go of our khom loi and making a wish!)

Last high: I saw Mockingjay (Part 2) in a movie theater in Hat Yai this weekend. Wow.

Ok, I’ll keep the lows short.

My phone broke. I did drop it, but it was fine and worked for another two days before freaking out and just stopping. It literally won’t do anything and if I can get it to turn on, it changes colors, spazzes out for a few seconds, and turns right back off. I take the Life Proof case of and low and behold… There is not a single scratch, dent, chip, or blemish on this phone I have worked so hard to keep in great condition. So you can say I’m more than irritated. Thanks Life Proof- care to offer an explanation?

Also, It’s happened. I have begun to experience my first hints of culture shock. I thought I was immune but seeing as I made it over 2 months before it settled in, I think that’s a positive note to recognize. Yesterday, as I was struggling to find transportation back to Satun from Hat Yai, I realized that I am so out of my league here.

(Me and B-dubs have some nice rides!)

I cannot speak the language and I don’t understand what most people are saying to me, I have no real indications of where I am and where I’m going (not only in Thailand but in life), and I am in over my head. I am. Teaching English is by far the most difficult thing I have ever done for many reasons. It’s just so different here and there is a different pace at which life moves, and it’s all just so unfamiliar.

Don’t get me wrong- I love being here. I love this experience and I love the people I have connected with here is Satun. I am relishing this experience because it one that will be very beneficial to my future goals and endeavors. So I’m holding on tight to those facts.


Culture shocks a bitch and eventually I’ll suck it up and just get over myself. But I think a nice cry, Netflix Christmas movie binge, and ice cream are in my immediate future.






No comments:

Post a Comment