Sunday, February 28, 2016

A dessert a day keeps the sadness away

Typical Thailand... But I agree! This was written on the wall of my new favorite ice cream and coffee shop called Tonruk! YUM!

So boy oh boy was it a busy week! So last weekend I went to Koh Tarutao (be sure to check out my last post!) and then on Tuesday and Wednesday, teachers and a group of 150 students headed to La Ngu for English Camp!

English Camp was super fun, and if I could only do those instead of teaching, I 100% would! It was so much better than teaching and everyone had such a blast! The students were engaged, listening and participating in all of the activities and workshops. And I'll bet you they actually learned something! (Totally different than my classes where they refuse to pay attention, resulting in me only teaching like five students, and who knows what they actually remember...)

(White Sharks for the win!)

I did a workshop where we made clocks. It was super simple, but I've noticed that telling time in English is an hard thing for my students, so I wanted to practice that skill a bit more. It was really fun and the kids made some pretty great clocks!

(They know the way to my heart!)

My awesome group of kids was the White Sharks Team and we rocked! One of my girls, Chumpoo, won Miss English Camp after a great presentation of her English skills and a fun little dance. I'm so proud of her because when we were practicing, she kept mixing things up and was so nervous! But she did great once she got up on the stage! We also won the talent show with a wonderful rendition of the Hokey Pokey and my Shark song (Thank you LaForet Camp songs!)!

I'm not bragging or anything but, you could say we were the overall winners of English Camp!

Thursday and Friday went by fast and then it was the weekend! Saturday, eh. Sunday however... Woo!

On Sunday, I went to a place called the Dragon's Spine with 6 other friends. We took a Longtail boat from the Hat sai yao pier and about 30 minutes later arrived at a sandbar that connects a few islands. The sand bar is only visible during low tide and so boats can only get there during this time. So, we met up at 7:30 am and headed off to find this natural phenomenon!

(The Dragon's Spine)

It was so cool! We walked along the sandbar, which is made up of broken down shells and coral for quite some time and then walked through water up to our calves to get to a separate sandbar. On the way back, the water was mid-thigh height, proving how fast the tide comes in! It was a race against time to get back to the boat! It was really cool to experience!

Supposedly one of the islands have a staircase you can walk up and get a better view of the surrounding area, but sadly by the time we got back to the boat, we couldn't get to that island anymore! Oh well. But it was well worth the trip!

These next two weeks will also be big ones with the Red Cross Fair all this week, the Satun International Kite Festival this weekend, and my family's arrival in Thailand the next weekend! Stay tuned for all the fun stories to come!

(Beautiful Panorama of the fishing village island!
Photo Credit: Isaac Haro)






No comments:

Post a Comment