Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Beginning my Brummie Adventure


(A Brummie is someone who lives in Birmingham… why? I do not know…)

Well I have now been living in Birmingham for one month exactly! Holy cow how time flies! Even though I’m no local, I feel like I’ve gotten a good grasp of the main city center and areas around the University of Birmingham campus. I’ve enjoyed exploring this vibrant city and I look forward to discovering all of its nooks and crannies!

(Victoria Square, named for none other than Queen Victoria)

I’ve been mainly focused with the typical tourist hot spots since I’m still so new to Birmingham, and I must say that I haven’t been disappointed yet! Starting in the main city center is the Bullring. This is an area with every kind of shop you could imagine, a huge variety of restaurants, and lots of action! There’s always street performers and events happening around the streets and in the shopping centers. And right across from the iconic bull is St. Martin church erected in the 12th century (yes it IS that old), making it the perfect combination of old and new!

If you visit Birmingham, some time should be spent in the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery. I would say that this is more a gallery with just a few added museum exhibits. They do change regularly though so that keeps it exciting! The art is amazing, ranging from early 1800’s to the present, and houses some Picasso pieces, the world’s largest watercolor painting, and so many more astounding works of art. The construction around the building makes the entrance hard to find, but once you walk in the main rotunda, WOW! There are dozens of landscapes in the main hall with a menacing statue of Lucifer in the center that the Museum is know for. This was my favorite hall because it’s just breathtaking! But any art geek like me, will also enjoy everything else! Among the museum exhibits are a history of the industrial growth of Birmingham, and Ancient Egypt hall featuring a couple of mummies, and a neat Saxon exhibit! Overall this museum is a fun trip and exciting if you love art, want to get out of the rain, or just need something free or cultural to do!

(The main rotunda in the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery)

On the University of Birmingham campus are the Barber Institute of Art and the Lapworth Geology Museum. Both are free and worth a visit! I enjoyed the Barber Institute of Art Galleries because they featured some amazing and large pieces! There were portraits, landscapes, depictions of Jesus and my favorite, a piece done by Claude Monet! (I bought a magnet of this one because I mean, come on, it’s a Monet!) But it was fun to tour the gallery while classes were going around and talking about the paintings because I’m always one to mooch a free tour and information! The Lapworth Museum of Geology rocks! (pun intended ;)) But really, there's some amazing minerals, fossils, gems, skeletons, and everything you would expect from a geology museum! It's exciting to step back into history and learn a little bit more about how different the earth was hundreds of millions of years ago!

(Complete Allosaurus skeleton)

Birmingham is also in a perfect location because there are tons of town and cities just a short train ride away! One such historical town is Stratford-Upon-Avon. If you’re a fan of literature, you’ll know that this was the home of and is the final resting place of the great William Shakespeare himself! When you think of the quintessential English village, this is it! You’re literally stepping into history (when most of the buildings are older than your entire country, you know it’s old), and it’s just such a pleasant town to walk around and explore.

(The lovely canal walkways)

You can visit the home of Anne Hathaway (Shakespeare’s wife, not the actress like I originally thought) and get a tour of the museum and area for a fee. I decided not to do the museum and cottages because I’m cheap and can use Google to envision it. BUT, if you love everything Shakespearean, then I suggest visiting the museum. You can visit The Holy Trinity Church and see his grave, and you should experience the feeling of wonder and serenity by walking along the canals. These two things were my favorite parts of Stratford-Upon-Avon. This small town is super easy to navigate and houses some great local boutiques and shops that are well worth a visit! And just a short 45-minute train ride from Birmingham means I will be visiting it again!

(Here doth lie the great poet himself)


Well my adventure have just begun and I can’t wait to see where this year takes me! Yes I’m here for school, but where’s the fun if you cant explore a bit?!










No comments:

Post a Comment