Sunday, October 11, 2015

And so it begins...

This was by far the longest and most draining week I have experienced in Thailand. We started on Sunday, so that we would have enough time to prepare and practice for the English camp we would be working at on Thursday and Friday. We started our TESOL instruction and learned about classroom management, teaching styles, TESOL theory and effective teaching methods.

Our instructors, Justin and Jessica, are phenomenal and have provided us with so much information and feedback about how we can be the best teachers and how to adapt in the classroom. Their lessons have been insightful, thorough, and nerve wracking! Not gonna lie, I’m freaking out about the fact that I will be teaching English and that feeling of distress has only grown. I was really nervous to begin with, but now that I will be finding out my placement as early as tomorrow… AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Photo Credit: James Levin

I could be placed anywhere in this country with a variety of accommodations, and hearing everyone’s stories has forced me not to have any preconceived notions of where and what I will get. Whoa.

But, I have been enjoying myself. I have had some amazing experiences, have made some great friends, and have learned so much about myself and what I want out of my life. I have already learned that this is not what I expected at all, and that it is dumb to go anywhere and do anything like this with a picturesque idea of hanging on the beach teaching perfect little Thai children English and having fabulous days everyday. The reality is that I will be in a school, god knows where, most likely with no aircon and sweating buckets while teaching little hellions how to say “happy” and “sad” and whatever other lessons I make up.

All I can say is that I am so beyond happy that I made the decision to take the TESOL course here in country so I was able to acclimate myself to not only the heat and humidity, but the rigors of teaching English when no one understands what you are saying.

Oh, and I went to this super beautiful cave called the Phraya Nakhon Cave. One of the kings of Thailand had a temple built underneath a naturally formed skylight and it is, in a word, enchanting. It was in Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park (meaning “three hundred peaks”) and it was quite the hike to get to, but totally worth it! These kinds of experiences are why I came to Thailand, and the thrill of them is why I am glad I have stayed!



Stayed tuned for my placement update!

No comments:

Post a Comment